• wrinkled dusty eyes ~ giant legs chained to the ground ~ statues eating hay
• in too small jungles ~ cheetahs pace along the fence, ~ eyes closed, sleepwalking...
• an eagle dreaming ~ trapped behind chain-link fences ~ flight feathers twitching
• like lifeless paintings, ~ motionless reptiles freeze... ~ children tap on glass
• the fence divides them ~ giraffes stretch their neck and tongues ~ eat each other's trees
• penguins in plastic ~ glide in circular oceans ~ one way, then the next...
• forlorn pack of wolves ~ sleeping out in the open ~ flies buzz 'round their heads
• across cement floors ~ chipmunks scurry past lions, ~ unafraid of them
• chimpanzee and boy ~ with plexiglass in between ~ trying to touch hands
• begging grizzly bears, ~ having forgotten salmon, ~ prefer stale donuts
• with wing feathers cut ~ conures, banded with numbers ~ screaming with boredom
• ancient tortoises ~ hiding from indignity ~ blend in with the rocks
• gates locked, stars above ~ all the captured innocents ~ dream with uncaged souls